Duke Fuqua EMBA Overview
The Fuqua School of Business’s Weekend Executive MBA offers the same general management curriculum taught in all Duke MBA programs, with a core that spans all the essential areas of business and electives that can refine knowledge in one area or broaden it to many.
The executive angle comes from a menu of courses designed by top researchers in leadership, ethics, and organizations, geared to increase your leadership capabilities. Together with individual coaching, Fuqua says, you will graduate with a “leadership blueprint to achieve your personal and professional goals.”
If you are looking for guidance applying to the Fuqua Weekend Executive MBA program, Personal MBA Coach is here to help via our EMBA Packages.
2022-2023 Duke Fuqua EMBA Essay Questions
- Essay 1: Pursuing an MBA offers a fantastic springboard to your desired career goals. What are some professional milestones you’ve set for yourself or challenges you’re currently facing? How do you think Fuqua’s Executive MBA will specifically help you achieve your goals and navigate those challenges?
- Essay 2: The ability to customize your MBA experience through electives, optional concentrations, the Health Sector Management certificate, experiential learning opportunities, and/or participating in student clubs is one of the highlights of Fuqua’s Executive MBA programs. How do you see yourself taking advantage of these opportunities?
- Essay 3: The Admissions Team wants to get to know YOU — beyond your professional and academic achievements shared with us in the application. Please share with us five random things about you. This could include important life experiences, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you uniquely you.
- Optional Essay: If you feel there are circumstances of which the admissions committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance).
What Sets the Duke Fuqua EMBA Program Apart
- Structure: This 22-month program beginning in June unfolds during 3-day residencies on campus once a month, alternating with weekend distance sessions. This limits disruption to work and family, yet allows for bonding with fellow students and getting to know the Fuqua campus and accessing its resources.
- Teams: During the length of the program, you will be teamed with four or five professionals from a wide range of backgrounds, and you will work together building trust and relying on each other’s strengths, sharing diverse backgrounds to contribute to a smart team.
- Curriculum: Over six terms you will cover 18 courses: ten in the core curriculum, four focused on leadership and personal skill development, and four electives. Classes include case studies, immersive discussions, lectures and interactive participatory exercises.
- Concentrations and Certificates: Fuqua EMBA students have the opportunity to chose one of five concentrations—energy and environment, entrepreneurship and innovation, finance, marketing, and strategy—and to earn a health management certificate.
- Going Global: Students have the opportunity to internationalize their experience through a Global Academic Travel Experience, a 12-day trip to get to know a region, its culture, and business environment. The trip includes meetings with local leaders and, of course, study and projects focused on the region.
- Leadership: The program includes two Integrative Leadership Experiences, outside-the-classroom modules designed to strengthen skills in teamwork and leadership.
- Post-EMBA Salaries: According to a survey of 1973 to 2019 alumni of the Fuqua Weekend Executive MBA program, the average salary of the graduates rose by 63% after completion of the program.
2023 Duke Fuqua EMBA Class Profile
The latest Duke Fuqua EMBA class profile reports 187 students.
Of these students, 48% identify as minority students (23% underrepresented minorities) and 29% identify as women. Collectively, the Fuqua EMBA class of 2023 represents 175 companies and 18 countries.
Fuqua EMBA students had an average of 11 years of work experience and an average age of 36. Prior to beginning their EMBA studies, 22% of students had international work experience and 47% of students previously earned an advanced degree.
Top professional backgrounds include healthcare/hospital (12%), sales/business development (10%), and IT (9%).
2022-2023 Duke Fuqua EMBA Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: September 1, 2022
- Application Decision: September 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: October 5, 2022
- Application Decision: October 19, 2022
- Application Deadline: November 2, 2022
- Application Decision: November 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: December 1, 2022
- Application Decision: December 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: January 4, 2023
- Application Decision: January 18, 2023
- Application Deadline: February 1, 2023
- Application Decision: February 15, 2023
- Application Deadline: March 1, 2023
- Application Decision: March 15, 2023
- Application Deadline: April 5, 2023
- Application Decision: April 19, 2023