NYU Stern MBA Program Overview
For MBA applicants who are hoping to relocate to (or stay in) New York City, NYU Stern is a great option. Naturally, Stern is known for its vibrant, urban environment.
With over 20 specializations and 200 electives to choose from, students have the opportunity to customize their curriculum to meet their goals. Students are also permitted to take up to 25% of their courses at other NYU graduate programs or partner schools.
In terms of the application process, the NYU Stern MBA program has four rounds rather than the traditional three. The school’s round 2 October deadline is a great option if you cannot make the first September deadline but would rather not wait until January to submit everything.
The average salary and bonus for the NYU Stern full-time class of 2021 was $172,774, and 92.3% of students received job offers within three months of graduation.
Personal MBA Coach’s Tips For Getting Into NYU Stern
If you think NYU Stern may be a good fit for you and are ready to apply, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s tips for tackling the 2023-2024 NYU Stern MBA essays.
What Sets NYU Stern Apart
- EQ/IQ Focus: NYU Stern has a strong EQ/IQ focus, both in the application and on campus. The recommendation section of the application delves into applicants’ EQs, specifically asking recommenders to highlight a candidate’s EQ skills such as communication, empathy, self-awareness, and self-management. On campus, students utilize their interpersonal and intellectual skills to drive innovation.
- Emphasis on Finance: The school has strong relationships with investment banks and other financial institutions. Stern’s finance courses are divided into two broad categories: microfinance issues and macrofinance issues. Microfinance includes corporation finance and investments, whereas macrofinance covers financial markets and the international financial system. Outside of finance, Stern students also do quite well in consulting.
- Access to Change: Studio: Change: Studio, the school’s new co-curricular program, was designed to help students thrive in a world of change and uncertainty. Through leadership development and experiential and entrepreneurial programming, the program equips students with the tools to understand, impact, and drive change. This experience begins at orientation. Following orientation, all full-time NYU Stern students will select programs from Change: Studio to take part in.
2024 NYU Stern Class Profile
The NYU Stern class of 2024 is made up of 324 students.
The class of 2024 has an average of 5 years of pre-MBA work experience. Records also note that 45% of students are female, 44% have international citizenship, and 11% of students are military veterans/active duty.
These students came from a variety of industries, the most popular being financial services, consulting, and consumer products/retail.
Students also pursued a range of undergraduate majors. Top areas of study include business, engineering/math/science, and social sciences.
While there is no minimum GMAT or GRE score required to apply to NYU Stern, students in the class of 2024 scored as follows:
- 162 Verbal
- 163 Quant
Joint/Dual Degrees Offered
NYU Stern also offers joint and dual degrees for those interested in pursuing more than one academic discipline or area of expertise. These include:
- MD/MBA: This 5-year dual degree between NYU Stern and the NYU School of Medicine prepares future physicians with a management education. Students will apply these learnings to patient care, understanding the impact that the business of healthcare has on their practices. This program also equips students with the tools to open a private practice or start a business.
- JD/MBA: This 4-year dual degree program prepares students for successful careers in business and/or law. Those admitted to the program will spend their first two years at NYU School of Law and their third year at NYU Stern. The final year is split between both schools.
- MBA/MFA: This three-year dual degree program is a partnership between NYU Stern and the Kanbar Institute of Film & Television at NYU Tisch. The program equips students with business knowledge that they can bring into major film studios, independent production companies, and major TV networks/studios.
- MBA/MPA: NYU Stern and NYU Wagner’s dual-degree program is designed for those looking to make a positive impact in business, nonprofit, and government sectors at the local, national, or global level. Students are able to earn both an MBA and Master of Public Administration in three years.
- Dual MBA with HEC School of Management: This dual degree program gives students the chance to study business in an international setting. Dual Stern/HEC students can start their studies at either location and will be awarded the NYU Stern MBA and the HEC MBA upon successful completion.
2023-2024 NYU Stern Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: September 18, 2024
- Decision: December 1, 2023
- Application Deadline: October 18, 2023
- Decision Release: January 1, 2024
- Application Deadline: January 18, 2024
- Decision: April 1, 2024
- Application Deadline: April 18, 2024
- Decision: Ongoing