Texas McCombs MBA Program Overview
With the motto “Make It Here,” U. Texas’s McCombs School of Business promotes its MBA program as one that will launch your life’s next step, be it an unimagined new career or an invention that will change the world.
McCombs thinks of itself as human-centered and future-focused, geared to promote innovation and solve the world’s business problems. Located in Austin, it has as its home one of the southwest’s most appealing cities, which has been ranked as a top spot to live, to start a business, and to look for a job (and not bad for eating, either).
The average salary and bonus for the Texas McCombs full-time class of 2021 was $158,007, and 93.1% of students received job offers within three months of graduation.
2022-2023 Texas McCombs MBA Essay Questions
- Essay 1: Picture yourself at graduation. Describe how you spent your time as a Texas McCombs MBA to achieve your personal and professional goals.
- Optional Essay: If applicable, applicants can provide an optional statement in the essay section of the application. Applicants should only provide an optional statement if there is something they wish to address about their candidacy that is not addressed elsewhere.
Comprehensive Texas McCombs Application Support
If you are ready to take the plunge and begin the Texas McCombs application process, Personal MBA Coach is here to guide you via our comprehensive packages.
What Sets Texas McCombs Apart
- 20 Concentrations to Choose from: McCombs’s full-time MBA program has topped the rankings for the excellence of several of its six departments, including accounting. Its curriculum offers a choice among more than 20 concentrations (though no concentration is required), 14 of which are STEM-certified. Among them is a group of interdisciplinary concentrations, including CleanTech and Social Enterprise, and another grouping under the Information, Risk, and Operations Management department umbrella that encompasses Business Analytics and Supply Chain Management. Much of a student’s curriculum is self-directed.
- Strong Global Study Options: The McCombs MBA program offers a rich menu of global studies options designed to give MBA candidates the opportunity to develop a global perspective on business. Among them, the McCombs Adventure Program, a service-learning trip to Latin America, and the Global Connections Study Tour, a classroom learning experience about a country coupled with a trip there. There are also semester abroad exchange programs and international double degree programs, one of which is earned abroad.
- Powerful Texas Alumni Network: McCombs is at the center of a thick, vibrant web of recruiters and business partners who cultivate relationships with MBA candidates and feed the famous Texas alumni network.
- Renowned Centers for Research and Initiatives: Most of McCombs’s state-of-the-art initiatives and research take place at the school’s many renowned centers: among them, the Center for Business, Technology and Law, the Center for Customer Insights and Marketing Solutions, the Center for Global Business, the Center for Research on Economic Commerce, the KBH Energy Center, the HMTF Center for Private Equity Finance, and the Supply Chain Management Center.
2023 Texas McCombs MBA Class Profile
The Texas McCombs class of 2023 is made up of 270 students and had a 35.5% acceptance rate. Of these students, 38% identify as women and 37% identify as U.S. minorities (23% underrepresented minorities).
The class also consists of 24% international students and 10% first-generation college students.
On average, students had 5.5 years of pre-MBA experience. In terms of undergraduate studies, business/econ, STEM, and humanities were the most popular majors.
The average age for the class of 2023 was 29 and 21% of students reported being married; 17% hold another advanced degree.
While there is no minimum GMAT score required to apply to Texas McCombs, students in the class of 2023 scored as follows:
- 159 Verbal
- 160 Quant
Joint/Dual Degrees Offered
Texas McCombs also offers joint/dual degrees for those interested in pursuing more than one academic discipline or area of expertise. These include:
- MBA/MA in Asian Studies: This degree combines knowledge of business with a concentrated exploration of Asian culture, politics, and economics. Parallel dual programs offer an MBA and an MA in Middle Eastern Studies, Latin American Studies, and Russian, European and Eurasian Studies.
- MBA/MA in Communications: This degree explores the intersection of business and modern-day communication arts. Graduates of the program earn a degree in the areas of Advertising, Communication Studies, Journalism, or Radio-Television-Film.
- Juris Doctor (JD)/MBA: UT Austin’s JD/MBA is a 4-year program combining law and business, training for careers in the private or public business sectors and the legal profession.
- MBA/MA in Energy and Earth Studies: This degree combines business studies and studies of the environment, geosciences, and natural resources. The program teaches students to apply business policy and science knowledge to energy issues in the private industry, government and nonprofit sectors.
- MBA/Master in Mechanical Engineering: degree combines business studies with the study of operations and management of engineering projects.
2022-2023 Texas McCombs MBA Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: October 11, 2022
- Application Decision: December 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: January 5, 2023
- Decision: March 23, 2023
- Application Deadline: March 28, 2023
- Decision: May 4, 2023