Wharton EMBA Overview
With convenient campuses on either coast of the United States—Philadelphia and San Francisco—the Wharton MBA for Executives confers the same MBA that full-time MBA students earn but on a more convenient weekend schedule that allows work at the same time.
That said, the so-called convenient schedule is full immersion to afford students the full benefits of studying and working with fellow professional classmates and sharing their experiences and backgrounds: ballet dancers aspiring to run the ballet company, environmental idealists wanting to fund and run an environmental non-profit, doctors aspiring to run a hospital. Wharton EMBA graduates agree that the people with whom they shared the program were as important as this top-ranked program itself.
If you are looking for guidance applying to the Wharton EMBA program, Personal MBA Coach is here to help via our EMBA Packages.
Personal MBA Coach’s Tips For Getting Into Wharton's EMBA Program
If you think Wharton may be a good fit for you and are ready to apply, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s tips for tackling the 2022-2023 Wharton EMBA essays.
What Sets the Wharton EMBA Program Apart
- Program Structure: The 24-month program earns the same MBA as the full-time program. Extending from May to May the first year and June to May the second, most EMBA coursework unfolds on alternating weekends. There is a one-week orientation in Philly and a one-week marketing course in San Francisco.
- Flexibility: EMBA students are not required to select a major. Instead, the program’s mission is to offer those already in management positions the coursework to enter upper-level management and leadership. The training is therefore geared more toward understanding broad management skills, though students may use second-year electives to build depth in particular fields. Majors can be earned.
- Electives Choices: Executive MBA students vote to determine the electives that will be offered in their second year, and they can choose to take electives on the opposite coast for a course or for an entire term.
- Going Abroad: To enhance their global learning, EMBA students are required to participate in one of four Global Business Week experiences and a one-week international trip.
- Global Modular Courses: Wharton EMBA students take project-based courses on location around the world: Africa (Ghana, Rwanda), Asia (Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Japan, India), the Middle East (Israel, UAE), Europe (UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia), and Latin America (Mexico, Argentina, Brazil). Immersive and taught in a dynamic format that encourages participation and exchange, these courses broaden and fine-tune student knowledge of culturally diverse business practices and social issues, making possible visits to local companies, meetings with local business leaders, and exposure to local communities and problems. In 2022 the roster of modular courses featured classes on finance in the Middle East, healthcare and business in Ghana, and tech entrepreneurship in India.
- Alumni Network: The Wharton alumni network is composed of more than 100,000 alumni in 153 countries on six continents plugged into activities, industries, companies, and initiatives of every kind.
2024 Wharton EMBA Class Profile
In the latest Wharton EMBA class profile, 33% of students identify as women and 16% identify as underrepresented minority students.
Collectively, the Wharton EMBA class of 2024 represents 36 countries.
Wharton EMBA students had an average of 12 years of work experience and an average age of 37. Of these students, 5% were under the age of 30 and 16% were over the age of 40.
Prior to beginning their EMBA studies, 51% of the class held advanced degrees.
In terms of work sponsorship, about 28% of the class of 2024 students were sponsored by their employers (>50% financial support).
2022-2023 Wharton EMBA Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: October 12, 2022
- Application Decision: December 21, 2022
- Application Deadline: January 18, 2023
- Application Decision: March 22, 2023