Duke Fuqua MBA Program Overview
Located in Durham, North Carolina, Duke University’s Fuqua School of Business offers a first-class business education with a rich array of specialties in a city that is not as big but no less connected.
Fuqua likes to describe its students as people who thrive on difference and who bring out strength in others. The school also prizes diversity, inclusion, and collaboration, and a strong international flavor. Its full-time MBA students will develop “sharp skills to analyze options, an open mind to appreciate different perspectives, and a new way of working based on an ability to draw out the strength in others.”
The average salary and bonus for the Duke Fuqua full-time class of 2021 was $172,627, and 96.4% of students received job offers within three months of graduation.
What Sets Duke Fuqua Apart
- MBA Choices: Fuqua offers an MBA, a Master of Management degree (two different programs), a Master of Quantitative Management, a Master of Quantitative Management with a focus on Business Analytics, a PhD program, and an Executive Education program. Among the MBAs are the full-time MBA, an accelerated daytime MBA, an Executive MBA, a Global Executive MBA, and a Weekend Executive MBA.
- Flexibility: The full-time MBA offers 16 different concentrations with fewer core classes (only 13) and the early pursuit of electives (more than 100). You shape your own studies and can gain exemption from material you already know. Among the more interesting concentrations: Decision Sciences, DEI, Energy and Environment, Fintech, and Social Entrepreneurship.
- Research Centers: Fuqua touts a number of centers on the cusp of important research in social entrepreneurship, leadership and ethics (COLE), energy and the global environment (EDGE), and health sector management (HSM). These connect to many industries and industry leadership, enriching faculty and alumni reach.
- Durham: While not far from the pleasures of the North Carolina mountains and beaches, Durham is a global economic hub and home to the well-established Research Triangle Park (RTP), which houses more than 250 companies, from Fortune 100 multinational operations to university spinouts and start-ups. Durham is ranked by Inc. Magazine as one of the seven hottest start-up hubs outside of Silicon Valley, and Forbes Magazine ranked the area #2 among the best places for business and careers. This makes it a vibrant place for connections, speakers, recruiting companies, and networking events with alumni who live in the area and those who love to come back. It is also a great city for foodies.
2023 Duke Fuqua MBA Class Profile
The Duke Fuqua class of 2023 is made up of 447 students and had a 19.2% acceptance rate. Of these 447 students in Duke Fuqua’s class of 2023, 48% identify as women, 45% identify as U.S. minorities (underrepresented minorities, 25%), and 36% of students are international students (47% are international citizens). The average age for the class of 2023 is 29 and 21% of students are married.
Duke Fuqua class of 2023 students had an average of 5.9 years of pre-MBA experience. The greatest numbers of students in the Fuqua Class of 2023 came from recent work in financial services (14%), consulting (13%), hospital/healthcare (8%), non-profits and education (6%), and tech (6%).
As to their future, the 2021 class reported graduating into jobs in the following fields: consulting 32%, technology 27%, financial services 17%, healthcare 10%, and consumer packaged goods 6%.
Duke Fuqua reported the following information on GMAT, GRE, and GPA information for the class of 2023:
- 317 (combined)
- 3.1-3.9 range
Joint/Dual Degrees Offered
Duke Fuqua also offers joint and dual degrees for those interested in pursuing more than one academic discipline or area of expertise. These include:
- Juris Doctor (JD)/MBA with Duke University School of Law: MBA candidates learn to apply legal and business techniques to help with everything from crafting equitable mergers to protecting intellectual property to defending the rights of people without a voice.
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)/MBA with Duke University School of Medicine: MBA candidates acquire equal parts clinical experience and business know-how, learning how to navigate medical- and healthcare-related business issues.
- Master of Environmental Management (MEM)/MBA and Master of Forestry (MF)/MBA, with the Nicholas School of the Environment: These degrees prepare MBA candidates to navigate environmental, energy, and sustainability issues with equal business knowledge and skills.
- Master of Public Policy (MPP)/MBA with Sanford School of Public Policy: This degree prepares MBA candidates to deal with issues and changes in complex economic, political, security, and cultural fields and contexts.
2021-2022 Duke Fuqua MBA Program Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: September 2, 2021
- Decision: October 14, 2021
- Application Deadline: October 11, 2021
- Decision: December 15, 2021
- Application Deadline: January 5, 2022
- Decision: March 16, 2022
- Application Deadline: March 24, 2022
- Decision: April 29, 2022
Duke Fuqua Testimonials
— 5 School Admit
— Interview Prep Client
— Duke Fuqua
Personal MBA Coach’s Tips For Getting Into Duke Fuqua
If you think that the Duke Fuqua MBA program may be a good fit for you and are ready to apply, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s Duke MBA Application Deadlines and Essay Advice: 2021-2022.