MIT Sloan Program Overview
Known for its innovative spirit, the MIT Sloan MBA program focuses largely on action labs and experiential learning. Student involvement is high on campus, and analytical thinking is key to the Sloan experience.
During students’ first semester at MIT Sloan, also known as the core semester, they are grouped into six cohorts of students from diverse backgrounds. Each of these cohorts is then further divided into smaller teams. Throughout the semester, these teams and cohorts build strong networks and bonds with one another.
After this first semester, students have the freedom to create a program that meets their specific goals and needs, completing a total of 144 units of electives.
Like many business schools, a diverse student body is a key characteristic of the MIT Sloan MBA program, bringing a variety of ideas and perspectives into the classroom.
The average salary and bonus for the MIT Sloan full-time class of 2021 was $169,713, and 94.8% of students received job offers within three months of graduation.
Personal MBA Coach’s Tips For Getting Into MIT Sloan
If you think MIT Sloan may be a good fit for you and are ready to apply, take a look at Personal MBA Coach’s tips for tackling the 2022-2023 MIT Sloan MBA application.
What Sets MIT Sloan Apart
- Emphasis on Analytics: MIT Sloan focuses heavily on data-driven analytics. Students rely on this data to solve problems and make decisions.
- Innovative Spirit: A core part of MIT Sloan’s mission statement, innovation is highlighted as a way to improve the world and generate trailblazing ideas that advance management practices.
- Student Involvement on Campus: There are currently over 80 active student-led clubs at MIT Sloan, offering countless opportunities for students to get involved outside of the classroom. Students also plan and lead professional conferences each year. These events not only help students practice their management skills, but offer networking and leadership building opportunities.
- Action Lab Learning: Action labs are a key component of the MIT Sloan experience. Through immersive, real-life business management situations, students build the skills that they will apply to their own future organizations. Collaborative learning is also an integral part of Action Learning, as students take on projects in teams.
MIT Sloan 2023 Class Profile
The MIT Sloan class of 2023 is made up of 450 students and had a 12.1% acceptance rate.
Of those enrolled in the class of 2023, 44% identify as women and 43% are international students. Collectively, the student body represents 64 different countries.
Students also have an average of 5 years of work experience. While they represent a range of pre-MBA industries, the top three are consulting, financial services, and technology.
Though the MIT Sloan MBA program allows students to submit a test waiver, the school still encourages those with scores to share them. Students in the class of 2023 scored as follows:
- 730 Median
- 690-760 range (middle 80%)
- 158-169 Verbal range (middle 80%)
- 157-168 Quantitative range (middle 80%)
Joint/Dual Degrees Offered at MIT Sloan
MIT Sloan also offers joint and dual degrees for those interested in pursuing more than one academic discipline or area of expertise. These include:
- MIT Leaders for Global Operations: MIT’s LGO program allows students to earn an MBA from the Sloan School of Management and an MS from MIT’s School of Engineering. LGO students will gain the technical skills to execute complex operations and technology solutions across industries.
- MIT Sloan and MIT Department of Urban Studies and Planning: This dual degree program allows students to earn an MBA and a master’s degree in urban planning. Students must spend a full academic year at each program.
- MIT Sloan and Harvard Kennedy School of Government: This dual degree program allows students to earn an MBA and a Masters in Public Administration or a Masters in Public Policy in three years. The program is designed for students interested in international management or economic development.
2022-2023 MIT Sloan MBA Application Deadlines and Timeline
- Application Deadline: September 29, 2022
- Decision: December 14, 2022
- Application Deadline: January 18, 2023
- Decision: April 3, 2023
- Application Deadline: April 11, 2023
- Decision: May 18, 2023